How to Setup Your Guitar Like a Pro: An Easy Guide for Beginners (ebook/paperback)
“Everything you need to start confidently working on your own guitars is right here.”
Recently updated to include over 260 photos covering all the aspects of a pro-level guitar setup, such as cleaning & maintenance, neck adjustments, string height adjustments (bridge saddle and nut), pickup height adjustments, intonation, and more. Learn how to dial in the perfect setup, step-by-step, on any guitar- with precision and measurability! Use the included cut-out tool templates to broaden your skills. Makes an excellent starter book or reference for budding professionals.
***Now updated and expanded with additional content including a section on restringing, neck shimming, scale length determination and new images! ***
“I have related and referred to Jonny’s guidance many times over the years and I can truly say that I wouldn’t have gotten very far without it.” -Daryl Chonka, Guitar Tech for Randy Bachman (The Guess Who & BTO), Recording Engineer, Recording & Performing Artist
“Everything you need to start confidently working on your own guitars is right here.” -Andrew DeGroot, Factory Certified Guitar Tech/Luthier, Stang Guitars
“The importance of a great setup can’t be overstated. This is a perfect guide for those starting out in the craft, and a great general reference to keep around. Jon nicely lays out all the info needed to setup your guitar like a pro, without any confusing clutter. You’re in great hands.” –Cory Newman, Luthier, C.A. Newman Guitars
Included in the book:
- An 8-step method for electric, acoustic & bass guitar setups
- How to adjust neck relief (bow) for optimum playability
- How to adjust string height for your playing style and guitar type
- How to file nut slots, adjust pickup height and set the intonation accurately
- How to adjust Fender-style tremolo’s, Gibson hard-tails, Floyd Rose and other floating bridge types
- How to adjust the saddle on your acoustic steel string or nylon string guitar
- Manufacturer’s setup specs from Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, Gretsch and others
- Exclusive setup specifications from the author’s best playing guitars & basses
- Cut-out templates for radius gauges, under-string radius gauges & an action ruler
- A handy measurement conversion chart & more!
already bought the book. I have ordered a setup kit that I’ll pickup this morning. I have an inexpensive but nice little cutaway acoustic electric,but it,s killing my fretting hand. I am hoping that i can salvage it and my hand. Wish me luck. lol
Hi Robert, There’s almost always a way to improve the playability on a guitar. One small adjustment at a time! Thanks for the comment
What kinda set up kit did you get?
Do you cover locking tuners in your book? All I’ve ever had is Floyd trems since the 80’s
They are mentioned but not in any great detail. Those ones pictured are (tapered assuming?) and designed to have the string pulled through without having much if any winding around the capstan although I normally do. They aren’t dead-locked like a floyd rose locking nut but they do the job.